Girl's Day School TrustDesigner_
Cottrell & Vermeulen ArchitectureServices_
Building Services & Environmental Design
Streatham and Clapham Girls School – Phase 2
OR Consulting Engineers were the environmental engineers and acoustic consultants for the phase 2 extension and refurbishment of Streatham and Clapham School to create new catering, dining, administrative and sports facilities.
The masterplan project was designed to ensure its carbon emissions are 30% below the requirements of Part L 2010 and to achieve a BREEAM ‘very good’ rating. The project adapted environmental strategies such as:
• The adoption of pre-fabrication techniques to optimise the passive environmental performance of the new constructions.
• The adoption of glass with a low solar heat gain co-efficient, to optimise day lighting but minimise solar gains.
• The design of low energy lighting installations.
• The use of absence detection and day lighting controls.
• The adoption of heat recovery ventilation to reduce fresh air ventilation loads in winter.
• The use of demand control for the kitchen ventilation.
• The installation of air source heat pump installations.
• The installation of photovoltaic panels.