Girl's Day School TrustDesigner_
Cottrell and Vermeulen ArchitectureServices_
Building Services & Environmental Design
Streatham and Clapham Girls School Phase 1
OR Consulting Engineers acted as environmental engineers and acoustic consultants for the phased extension and refurbishment of Streatham and Clapham School. The phase 1 project involves creating a new Sixth Form Centre, catering, dining, administrative and sports facilities within a penthouse extension located on the roof of the existing school.
The phase 1 project has been designed to ensure its carbon emissions are 30% below the requirements of Part L 2010 and to target a BREEAM ‘excellent’ rating. The project adopted environmental strategies such as:
- The adoption of pre-fabrication techniques to optimise the passive environmental performance of the new constructions.
- The adoption of glass with a low solar heat gain co-efficient, to optimise day lighting but minimise solar gains.
- The design of low energy lighting installations.
- The use of absence detection and day lighting controls.
- The adoption of heat recovery ventilation to reduce fresh air ventilation loads in winter.
- The use of demand control for the kitchen ventilation.
- The installation of air source heat pump installations.
- The installation of photo-voltaic panels.
Selected Selected Education Projects
Bean Learning Resource Centre
Westborough Academy, Low Carbon Masterplan: Phase 1
Petchey Academy University Gateway