Cottrell and Vermeulen ArchitectureServices_
Building Services & Environmental Design
Westborough Academy, Low Carbon Masterplan: Phase 1
This ground breaking project explored the use of low carbon engineering techniques combined with the re-use of existing Victorian building stock to provide a low energy, flexible building. This project was part funded by DECC and its performance was monitored post occupancy, to see how this approach could bring benefits across the education sector.
OR Consulting acted as building services, lighting and acoustic consultants and worked to formulate the project’s environmental design strategy, which included measures such as:
- The improvement of the building’s passive performance, by internally insulating walls and ceilings installing secondary glazing and improving building air tightness.
- The installation of energy efficient light fittings and absence detection lighting controls.
- The integration of a biomass boiler, to offset the school’s heating and domestic hot water loads.
- The integration of photo-voltaic panels to generate electricity on-site.
- The adoption of heat recovery ventilation techniques.
- The detailing of acoustic measures to satisfy the requirements of Building Bulletin 93 and facilitate the adoption of natural ventilation and passive cooling engineering techniques.
- The sub-metering, monitoring and targeting of energy consumption.