St Mary's ChurchDesigner_
Building Services & Environmental DesignSector_
Heritage and Places of Worship
St Mary’s, Stoke Newington
St Mary’s Stoke Newington is a Grade II* church designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and completed in 1856.
OR Consulting acted as environmental engineers for the transformation and extension of the existing church rooms, which were felt to severely limit the community through a lack of capacity, functionality and accessibility, to create a brand-new space that would be suitable for the increasing needs of a diverse community.
The new building infills a courtyard area framed by the 1996 extension, church and rectory. The newly formed multipurpose hall and reconfigured ancillary spaces are suitable for various activities and events including community learning, food bank, migrant centre, soup kitchen, and homeless night shelter.
Different use requirements informed the design of the various spaces. The hall can be sub-divided into two smaller spaces and is connected to a semi commercial kitchen, allowing multiple smaller groups to use the space concurrently and provide segregation for the night shelter. The service core comprises separate and secure WC and shower facilities as well as a new staff office and meeting rooms. New heating and electrical services were installed within the New and Old Rectories to increase utilisation of the existing spaces.