Housing Action Resource ProjectDesigner_
Cottrell and Vermeulen ArchitectsServices_
Building Services & Environmental DesignSector_
Housing Action Resource Project
OR Consulting worked with Cottrell & Vermeulen Architecture on the design of a new low carbon, short stay hostel and day centre for the HARP charity. The team welcomed the challenge of creating a low carbon exemplar design for the charity on a tight budget.
Key features of the low carbon building services design strategy were:
- The adoption of natural ventilation and passive cooling techniques.
- The optimisation of the building fabric’s passive performance.
- The adoption of low carbon building services solutions.
- The installation of water efficient sanitary fittings.
- The provision of high capacity, efficient heating and hot water systems with low running costs.
- Energy efficient lighting and controls.
- Providing exemplar security, CCTV and access control solutions to provide security for both staff and residents.
- The creation of a food technology teaching classroom and cooking facilities in every room.